Saturday, June 4, 2016

A Homespun Year...Romantic Book Weight...15 minute project...

 
 This is not a pretty for those of you who have embraced the Kindle or other e-readers, although it could still be valuable as a weight for your favourite magazine or cookbook!
 
But if you're a diehard romantic like me, and love nothing better than sitting with a real book in your hands, then enjoy this little lovely!
 
This is a simple sausage of scrap fabric, stitched and embellished with ribbon and a rhinestone buckle, and filled with rice to add weight.
 
 
Mine is a remnant of furnishing fabric from the bargain bin, sourced for 60c and providing enough material for about 40 book weights! I cut two pieces about 10cms (4 inches) wide and 35cms (13 inches) long.
 
They're stitched together, embellishments added on the inside prior to stitching, and quickly machine stitched on the two long sides and one short end, before being turned right way out, and filled with a little jug to channel the rice (a funnel would do the trick too), then hand stitched on the second short end.
 

 
Make one for someone you love.
 
...Mimi...

18 comments:

  1. Adorable, I also prefer a real book, I like the way it feels to turn the page and the satisfaction of closing the book when the story is over. Also a book never needs to be charged or feel cold in your hand. I don't know what I would do if there was only kindle for reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tealady, my reply published below! Sorry xxx

      Delete
  2. Mimi, I have a kindle but actual 'hold them in your hand' books are my favorite. I really like the idea of a book weight ... one more thing to add to my sewing to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patsy. It's always good to have a new project xxx Mimi

      Delete
  3. I always have books that won't sit open on the right page and this would be perfect. Especially for cook books in my case, when you need hands free! Thanks Mimi! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Annabel, I know, right? Even when you are cooking, you need that extra pair of hands. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. Tealady thankyou. You've articulated my own thoughts on the paper book vs the e- reader argument. I love the idea of the transportability of an e-reader for sure. But there's nothing like the weight and tactile experience of a real book in your hands. Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too, love a book.
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a pleasure to visit you Cindy. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. What a pretty way to leave your book open! I love it! Thank you for sharing this lovely project at Tuesdays with a Twist! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marci I'm thrilled you like it. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. This post will be featured today at Tuesdays with a Twist! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marci Thankyou! What an honour! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. This is such a great post. :) I can understand your reasoning...definitely. :)

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will never become one of those e-readers as I prefer a real book in my hands. My books are like my friends and I like the look of a book case filled with them. Your book weight is very creative as well as pretty. Thanks for sharing, Mimi.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't embraced the whole ebook or Kindle version yet either. I love being able to read paper books, but I did like how you gave the idea for a magazine or cookbook also! Thanks for sharing with #SocialButterflySunday! Hope to see you link up again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great idea Mimi! I am going to have all my gifts organised at this rate. ~smiles

    xTania

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx