Tuesday, June 21, 2016

A Homespun Year....Ribbon and Lace Storage and Organising...

 
I have been meaning to do this since forever. I have literally hundreds of metres of lace and ribbon, left over from, or accumulated for, various sewing projects.
 
Well...we all have our weaknesses, right?
 
Currently they bubble out of a box in a very unruly manner, and it was starting to mess with my thinking. I was getting Craft Room Fear. This is a very real condition where one fears entering the Craft Room lest one be attacked by feral ribbons and laces and such-like things. I see some of you nodding. You too, huh?
 
Just yesterday, I was minding my own business decoupaging an altered clipboard, when a rabid ribbon attacked my bottle of glue. It hung on for grim death and nearly ruined my work, but I wrestled it into submission. Phew.
 
Action had to be taken, but so many of the strictly organised methods I saw, left me cold, frankly. Plastic things and ugly boxes do little for my artistic eye.
 
This solution however, I adore already.
 
Neat rectangles of project cardboard, cut to whatever size suits my fancy, and decorated with French Script and roses. Now that's my kind of storage.

 
These are simple scrapbooking stickers, $2 for 40, and the same French Script stamp used for my Crepe Paper Roses that I posted last week. Remember them?
 
I chose to leave some cards of lace unstamped, just for the pretty alternating look. I may yet change my mind on that! I do rather adore that French Script stamp.

 
Aren't these the sweetest? I already feel the old enthusiasm returning. If nothing else, I cannot wait to organise hundreds of these with different embellishments thereupon, into neat burlap covered shoeboxes so that they beg to be viewed and used.

 
The red roses with the black ruffles, laces and ribbons is suitably dramatic.
 
Here's some soft vintage Baby scrapbooking bits, accented with gold and sparkle for my sweet Spring coloured satin and silk ribbons, and stamped calico (a gift from my friend Annabel). A whimsical crescent moon above deep French grey velvet ribbon, proclaims I love you to the moon and back...surely a sentiment for any day, any time....
 
 
...as is 'love always', and the sentiments of joy listed beside...
 
 
....what's not to like...
 

 
...and this darling baby, sleeping after a big meal, with puppy close at hand, watches over a favourite sage green double satin, that I love using as pillowcase trim...
 
 
 
There's more to come but I envisage soft images of Madonna and Child or tiny pennants of bunting for my baby blues and pale mauves, Cabbage roses and Romantic ladies for my pinks and reds, and sweet and sunny birds for my yellows and bronzes.
 
I'm as excited as a child on Christmas morning!
 
How do you organise your crafting and sewing pretties?
...Mimi...

28 comments:

  1. Well I love this! For sewers and the crafty lace is a lovely gift. I have figured out lace and threads post well too (since Im trying to beat the post costs) but presentation like this takes it to a whole new level! Gorgeous Mimi! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Annabel...yes I agree. Organising your pretty crafting and stitching accoutrements is always a challenge. I love this for it's simplicity and prettiness. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. Dear Mimi,
    As I was reading this post, indeed my head was nodding! My craft room is (seemingly) either my place of refuge; or, after a few projects, a place of complete avoidance : / [yes fear plays into the picture!] Thank you for sharing these great lace card ideas! So lovely and looks fairly easy to do. (and NO plastic!) ~ Appreciate you Mimi, Karen O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I know the avoidance feeling too! Being organised means that the craft/sewing room is tempting, not daunting! And yes, NO plastic! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. I love this idea of yours, I also have so many metres of different laces of any kind I keep in an old closet we have in our scullery, but be sure, I'd love to organize them as you did, dearest Mimì !

    Wishing you all my best for your days to come,
    always so very, heartily grateful

    xxo ~ Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dany, I knew you'd love this! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. Absolutely breathtaking, my friend! I would do this just because it's so pretty {{smiles}}

    As always, I am leaving your blog with a smile on my face and a song in my heart. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Stephanie my sweet friend! You are always a breath of fresh air! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean and this is such a pretty way to organize things. I have stuff everywhere. Thanks for sharing, Mimi.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sandi. I'm glad you like it. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Dear Mimi:
    Your organization skills knock the ball out of the park because you do it with such charm and beauty. Thanks for sharing and linking your artistic presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say Bernideen. Thankyou! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. Alas, the lace rules in my sewing room. My pretties are stored away in suitcases, vanity cases and other lovely storage containers. I don't know there is enough card in this world to showcase my laces...I would need another room just to store my laces, braids, ribbons. =) What you have done to curtail those escaping laces is breathtaking. Such a lovely idea in organising laces and so beautiful to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, how charming that sounds! 'Lace Rules'. Indeed! You do make me laugh too! Not enough card in the world? I'd love to see that much lace! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. This is a great way to organize ribbon! And it is also very pretty. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry. I'm flattered you think so! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  9. Such a gorgeous way of storing your beautiful lace, Mimmi.
    I too am in love with lace, just having it in my home makes me feel like a lady though I am not much for crafting.
    I enjoy looking at it in pretty jars of all sizes.

    So nice to come and visit with you and see all your beauty.

    Enjoy your day~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, lace in any form is so feminine, I think. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  10. Hi Mimi,
    What a lovely lovely way to store your lace. Love this! Bet you are no longer afraid to go in your craft room......loved your description of all that, so cute..........
    Great job...........
    Hope you have a sweet weekend,
    Love and Blessings,
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a sweetheart Nellie. Thankyou. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  11. What a lovely idea. I bet that felt so good organising them like this. So satisfying.

    Sally @ Life Loving
    #LifeLovingLinkie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure did Sally! Thanks for visiting! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  12. I, too, have an unruly pile of lace that needs to be corralled. Your solution is so pretty and practical,too! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xoKathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this helps you 'corral' Kathleen...lol! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  13. I love lace too and these little cards are a beautiful way to tame things down a bit. I suffer from CRF but the condition has become so serious I think it is to the point of CRA (Craft Room Avoidance), seeing as how I now avoid going in there whenever possible(lol). Mine goes beyond unruly lace and is now more of a major obstacle course! Your little lacey cards are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Lynn...CRA is a serious affliction! I hope this helps 'cure' you! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  14. Love your beautiful organizational decor. I too am sick of ugly utilitarian objects the clutter my life.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx