Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thrifty Thursday....Old Fashioned Caramel Fingers...


These are the most delicious things. They are straight out of Nannas old recipe book and a family favourite here. I hope they become a favourite at your end too.

They cost next to nothing to make and look like something from the High Tea trolley at a five star hotel, when served stacked and dusted with icing sugar as you see here.

You'll need:

125gms (1/4 pound) butter
125gms (1/4 pound) brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon water
1 cup self raising flour
3/4 cup dates, chopped finely (you can also use raisins, sultanas or currants)
1/4 cup almond meal (optional)

Then just:

Preheat the oven to 175C Fan forced or 180C normal (350F), and grease and line a cookie tray with silicone baking paper.

Cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the beaten egg and combine well. Add the water and sift in the flour. Add the dates, or other dried fruit and the almond meal if using it. Stir well.

Spread the mixture on the lined tray with clean hands, making it nice and thin. It doesn't have to fill the entire tray, and uneven edges are fine...those crunchy bits at the sides are a treat in themselves!

Bake for about 20 minutes or until firm to touch and golden brown.

Allow to cool, sift icing sugar over them, and cut into neat fingers.

Enjoy!

 

8 comments:

  1. They do indeed look yummy, Mimi. You are such a good cook. I will have to stop looking at all this delicious food that has sugar in it. It is too tempting. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look yummy! I love caramel anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for this recipe Mimi I am going to be making it in a couple of weeks when I am busy cooking for our trip away.

    Lynette
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had these... and I will be trying them! Anything that has the word caramel (or vanilla) and Im in. Plus looks simple. Thank you!
    I really like old fashioned recipes. I always have the ingredients, for one. They are economical for another. Thanks Mimixxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks sooo good, it is going in my recipe file folder, until I have time next week to bake. I might try to bake tomorrow and take some over my sons house on Sat. But than, maybe not, lol. Have a great weekend Hugs, Nana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious looking, I make a similar recipe that uses chopped pecans or walnuts instead of dates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delicious looking recipe...Thank you Mimi, I will definitely giving this one a try!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mimi!

    I love your style, and this recipe looks special!!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx