Monday, April 16, 2018

Homespun Things....Custom essential oil perfume blends....


Mothers Day is almost upon us, so I thought I'd share my custom essential oil perfume blends.

My recent fascination with essential oils, started with Annabel at The Bluebirds are Nesting and her posts on Essential oils, called The Home Pharmacy.

She reignited my interest in this topic, long dormant due to a gazillion other interests and tasks on my plate.

Mum was a huge fan of essential oils and their power to treat many conditions, so I was fortunate to already have a creditable collection of oils and literature with which to get started.

I returned to a lovely book Mum had on custom blended perfumes, but found it a little limited for what I wanted.

Instead, I decided to blend my own.

I did a bit of research, having recently had an experience where one oil I added overwhelmed all the others, and found some reading on Essential Oil Values at Hello Glow. It's a bit convoluted, but it's really helpful in blending to get the loveliest scent.

And less than an hour later, I have five beautiful customised gifts for friends or family.

I've made one each of a Fresh, a Spicy, a Floral, one I called Sweet Summers Day because it smells just like one, and a Sweet and Earthy blend, just to see how I like them. I used the blending idea from the chart I linked in my previous post, and it does seem a successful way of blending without too much knowledge of blending if you get my drift. My little bottles are 10ml capacity, so I pretty much used the oil 'value' as the number of drops per vial.

Here are my blends:

Fresh:

 4 drops Rosemary
4 drops Frankincense
3 drops Lime West Indies

Spicy:

 1 drop Cinnamon Bark
8 drops Bergamot
1 drop Lemongrass

Floral:

 1 drop Jasmine Absolute
7 drops Lavender
3 drops Lime West Indies

Sweet and Earthy:

 5 drops Palmarosa
6 drops Sandalwood

Sweet Summers Day:

 6 drops Bergamot
6 drops Lavender
3 drops Lime West Indies
2 drops Cinnamon Bark

Each was topped with vodka.

Oddly I only have Vanilla infused Vodka on hand as it was gifted to me and I don't drink it, and I think that's added an interesting base note too. Very subtle though.

I thought the Sweet and Earthy was my initial favourite, but as is always the case with scent, as it settles on the skin, other notes come in to play. Now I think it's the Spicy, with the Fresh a close second. Although I just smelled the Sweet and Earthy on my wrist again, and now I can't choose...lol!

 
 An hour later, and I've just tried the Floral blend and the Sweet Summers Day, and I think for today, they're runaway winners by a long shot! These are ALL my own blends, not borrowed from somewhere else, so please use them but don't abuse them.

My little bottles, which you can purchase here, are decorated with adorable grosgrain ribbon bows gifted to me by the lovely Annabel at The Bluebirds are Nesting. I think they're the perfect finishing touch.
 
 
Go on. Give this a try. I guarantee you'll love them.
 
...Mimi...
 

2 comments:

  1. Mimi, one of the girls at our simple living group is a doTerra rep and she makes up some lovely perfumes too. Yours look just so pretty and I am sure they smell wonderful. Thanks for sharing your blends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look gorgeous Mimi!Im going to try some of your combo scents, thanks heaps. I know what you mean about one overpowering the others , Ive made w a few scents too , unfortunately I did not note the good one . love Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx