Monday, March 26, 2018

Motherly Advice...Dont make your own life difficult...Part 3...Get Things Done...

 
Avoiding something doesn't make it go away.
 
That goes for preparing for events like birthdays, Christmas, and Easter, paying the bills, going to the doctor because you've found a lump, doing the housework, and having that awkward chat with a family member or friend.
 
Yes, we all get tired. We all feel overwhelmed sometimes. We all feel sad, anxious, out of sorts, forgotten, unloved, or unappreciated occasionally. Nobody really derives pleasure from the unpleasant tasks in life.
 
But I'm going to go against mainstream thinking and say that that is no excuse for not tackling them. None of those scenarios is going to improve without action of some sort. 
 
Now before you drown me in the specifics of your own situation, I'll say I don't know your situation. I'm not saying that Depression and Anxiety as clinical conditions aren't a serious matter. They are, and treatment of these conditions can be complex and lifelong.
 
I'm just talking about those days when you don't feel like doing anything. Those days when the couch or the laptop are calling and there's a million reasons to respond to the call, and just lounge about.
 
 Those days when you have a million things on your mind and can't seem to separate them into what matters and what really doesn't.
 
Those days when you feel like you're moving through oil.
 
Maybe it's hormonal. Maybe you suffer from a diagnosed condition where your energy levels fluctuate. Maybe you're feeling a little burned out for whatever reason. I know. I've been there too.
 
But can I share something? The only way I got through those times was to keep going

 
I kept going by doing one thing that needed to be done...the laundry, the vacuuming, the tidying...then rewarding myself with one thing I wanted to do...bake, sew, write.
 
Then one more essential, and one more pleasurable task. Mums mantra always in my head 'Do one thing, then just do one thing more'.
 
I was tired this weekend just gone. I don't know why. Maybe it's just a stage of life thing. 58 ain't 18, that's for sure.
 
I could have lounged around happily, and achieved absolutely nothing. But I can tell you, I would have been disappointed in myself come Monday morning. Doing 'nothing' all weekend, might be some peoples idea of a good time, but it's not for me.
 
The laundry basket would have been even more full, my daughter would have had to buy her lunch at an expensive café, which she can't afford as a student, the dog and his bedding would have been smelly, the pantry and refrigerator would have been empty...and all of that would have cost us precious time, energy and money that we don't want to use unnecessarily.
 
Instead, the washing got done...six loads in under three hours on one day. I just got into a rhythm with it, and didn't think about it too much.
 
It took just ten minutes to bathe the dog, and another 2 minutes to change his doggie bed linen. Washing the dirty blanky was a single load of washing and a toss in the dryer.
 
I dragged myself to the smaller local supermarket (not Aldi that day as I would have had to pack the groceries myself and that just seemed all too hard), and did a half weeks worth of grocery shopping so I wouldn't have too much to unpack once I got home. That will hold us till Wednesday, when I'll feel a bit more energetic hopefully.
 
I spent just two hours baking brownies, cookies, cheese muffins, and turkey meatballs, and got the mixed dried fruit soaking to bake a fruit cake. There was enormous pleasure in seeing my daughter pack her lunch today, knowing she was saving up to $30 by NOT having to buy food out. AND the fridge is full of goodies for snacks, meals and treats.
 
 
 
 
 
I then treated myself to some creative time, and made powder puffs and Easter Bunny footprint cookies, for Easter Gifts.
 

 
I used my time wisely to Get Things Done. I felt GOOD.
 
It really worries me that 'doing nothing' is sort of condoned these days. I'm all for having a Mental Health Day and all that, but mostly, life is about having to Get Things Done, isn't it? Even celebrities have to Get Things Done. They might have someone else to do the mundane tasks, but they still have to Get Things Done. It's just that their Things they have Get Done, are different to ours. Getting Things Done makes you feel Good. Procrastinating does not.
 
Change your mind set.
 
Instead of seeing your day to day tasks, whatever they may be, as some sort of insurmountable hill of dirty work, try to see them as an opportunity.
 
An opportunity to make your home more welcoming and comfortable.
 
An opportunity to look and smell nice.
 
An opportunity to save your family money.
 
An opportunity to feed yourself and your family healthfully and pleasurably.
 
An opportunity to spend time with your pet and make their life more comfortable too.
 
An opportunity to get to the end of the day, and feel good about what you've achieved.
 
Today is an opportunity.
 
How will you use it?
 
...Mimi...
 
 
 
 




17 comments:

  1. Hi Mimi,
    Great post as always. I couldn't agree more and just lately, your "just do one thing, then one more thing" mindset has helped me tremendously. I am reminded that really, everything can be broken up into small manageable tasks and we can see progress happening. Your posts always seem to get me motivated to do that bit more and I can see the change it has made in my life. Thank you
    Del

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Del I couldn't be more pleased that my posts speak to you. Thankyou for your lovely comment. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. Well said Mimi. I dont often get to the point where it all feels too much. I believe in doing a little often. This means the jobs dont all add up on top of each other too often. There have been times in the recent past where due to family illness a lot less was done. I have my own mantra and that is 'If you do stuff, stuff gets done'. When times are difficult I set myself a task and get it done. I dont think of a whole list, just one thing. I find this way I dont feel overwhelmed by what is in front of me. When that task is complete, then I identify the next thing to be done and so on. It works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane, a little bit often is another great mantra, I agree. Family illness or caring for ill loved ones can certainly impact, so that's where my other mantra, 'do it while you can', comes in. None of us knows what's around the corner, so it just makes good sense to be on top of things and prepared. Great going. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Dear Mrs. Mimi,

    Your post reminds me of the scripture that says whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all of your might. You certainly live this scripture. Thank you for your encouragement! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Melinda, thankyou. You always humble me with your lovely thoughts. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  4. Even in the recovery periods of my cancer treatments, I've tried to do something every day. Sometimes, I set the timer for 15 minutes or even 10 and work. Then I rest for a bit (hopefully an equal amount) then get busy again. When I feel like I cannot work, I try to knit hats for the chemo center or do something useful while I sit.

    God bless you!
    You've got so much wisdom.
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Laura, I think there is also a time for rest, and particularly following an illness or treatment for something as serious as cancer. Take it slowly sweetness. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  5. I have always been a person on the go and always doing, doing, doing.I have been diagnosed with lung cancer and the chemo is kicking my butt so all I do is lie around. Sometimes you have to listen to your body and do what it tells you to do. So I wrap my bald head up and go to sleep. When I wake up, I usually have the energy to cook and do some laundry. I feel like a real slacker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. There is a time and a season for all things, including being voluntarily productive. Taking treatment for cancer, supercedes all else. Don't feel like a slacker. Take things slowly and let your body heal. Sending love and hugs. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  6. Dear Mimi, A great post and very good advice. This is a timely post for me as I am tackling my office/craft room today. Best wishes Lyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lyn, I'm happy to have caught you at the right moment ;-) Mimi xxx

      Delete
  7. This was very motivational for me! I have had a couple weeks where I've not been particularly motivated to make an ambitious to-do list (and I'm in my thirties, it must happen to everyone!). But I also feel so much better at the end of the day when my head hits the pillow and I remember all the productive and creative things I did that day, and how I made my family''s lives a little more enjoyable. I love to cook, so that's a creative outlet for me, but cleaning, not so much :). I do allow myself to rest, but there are many hours in the day, so I make sure I have some productive time too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I think we all hit a wall energy wise sometimes. Don't be too hard on yourself. I do believe though that the best antidote for inactivity, is to get active. I agree that hitting the pillow, and being at peace with the day, is so very important. Good for you. Mimi xxx

      Delete
  8. Mimi this is not the first time one of your posts has given me a bit of a kick start. I read it twice in two days, and then went and cleaned two rooms that have been bugging me. And sure enough I felt hot and sweaty, but also victorious lol.

    I love the idea of doing a job then doing something to reward yourself. I've sat and crocheted before in a lounge that desperately needed vacuuming and it was not the enjoyable time it was meant to be! Five minutes of vacuuming later and it was much nicer.

    I'm really enjoying this series, I hope there is more to come! I am preparing for a new baby due in May, and 'not making life difficult' is basically my life motto at the moment lol.

    Have a lovely Easter Mimi

    Jen in NZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jen, I'm pleased to have kicked you...lol! I know what you mean about effort and reward. It's hard to relax when you know you should be doing something else. Good for you, and congrats on the impending new arrival! Mimi xxx

      Delete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx