Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Motherly Advice..why Stress can be a good thing....

 I want to talk a bit today, about stress. So I'm giving you some beautiful images from our travels in France to enjoy, so you feel less stressed. 

These are all from Giverny, Honfleur, Versailles, and Musee` Rodin, all of which have a special place in my heart.

We've all come to dread Stress. We're told that it's a terrible thing. Stress ages us, makes us tense, prevents us from getting on with our life in a productive fashion, and causes relationship troubles.

Certainly this can be true.

But back when I studied Psychology as part of a Human Resource Management Degree, we learned that the right kind of stress, can be a wonderful thing. It can help us achieve more in our life, give us the mental and physical energy to deal with a crisis, and boost us when we need it most.


See, there are two kinds of stress. The type we've commonly come to think of as 'stress' is actually called Distress. Yes, we all know that word and it has exactly that connotation, doesn't it.

But there's this other sort called Eustress.

Eustress is positive stress. It's a great motivator, and helps give you that sense of accomplishment that is so important to having a contented and productive life.



You know that feeling when you're dog tired, but you have to finish that assignment/wedding cake/christening gown/Christmas gift, so somehow, you dig deep and find that 'second wind' that allows you to accomplish what's required? That's Eustress.

Or when you have a new baby, that's woken you every hour on the hour, but somehow, you find the energy to rise at your usual time to get your other children off to school? That's Eustress.

Or you have a report due for the big boss, and you've worked late every night for a week, and you're utterly exhausted, but you're pretty sure there's a promotion in this, so you find the energy somehow, to not only finish, but make it look fantastic too. That's Eustress.


We wouldn't get much done without Eustress in our lives. We'd all just potter along on the Never Mind, and I guess for some, that's okay too. But we're all only here in THIS life once, no matter your spiritual leanings, so why wouldn't we make the most of it?

Next time you feel 'stressed', stop, take a deep breath, and ask yourself whether what you're feeling is Distress, or Eustress. If it's Eustress, then embrace it, and stop perceiving it as a negative. Use it to your advantage. Breathe, visualise how you'll feel when this period of Eustress has helped you achieve your goal,whether it's creating a fab lunch for ten friends, a busy day of work and volunteering, or a new project that needs completion, and go for it.

Stress can be GOOD. Really.

 photo signature_zps33fd9dfd.png

18 comments:

  1. Wonderful and thank you for sharing your perspective on this. I am guilty of always thinking of stress as a negative thing and I need to stop, take a deep breath and figure out if it is the good or the bad kind from now on. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I'm pleased to have made you look at 'stress' differently, even positively! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. You are so right about good and bad stress, Mimi. We learnt about this in school, perhaps the year before doing the HSC.
    I like to add the lead-up to Christmas, or other big events, to the good stress side. I know lots of people find that time of year too busy/long/'stressful' but I love knowing that all the preparations/thought/time I expend will make for a wonderful time xx Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Fiona, it's about changing the way you think of 'stress'. It really is a fight or flight response, and the fight part is the past that equips us to rise to a challenge :) Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Great photos! And thoughtful post...
    Autistic people have many distress in social situation, which they don't understand and with other things... that takes much energy, sigh!
    Of course, I appericate eustress -

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll believe you, if you say so, Mimi.=) I haven't heard of eustress before. I am much less stressful now that I have wandered through your gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Mimi! I learned something new this morning! And it does make sense! And let me just say the pictures were very soothing. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have learned a hew word and its meaning this morning. My life is filled with stress - financial, family, emotional....but I find that in the most stressful situation I act the most concentrated and when finished I feel so good. This must be Eustress. I work very hard to lean not to get caught up in the stress brought on by my unconscious want for control of a situation because I end up filled with the bad stress. Loved the photos. This part of France is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. His timing is everything and your post came at just the right time. I have a couple distressing items on the list for today
    The good news is I now also have a name and definition for my ability to be 'good in a crisis'.
    Now I need to learn to apply Eustress to my Distress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely lovely images... just looking at them relaxes me. Thank you Mimi.

    Have a blessed day

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mimi, thanks for you for sharing your treasured words and images. The architecture is a delight. Please return again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those photos of France! Thanks for sharing this information about good and bad stress.
    Thanks for joining and sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    Hope you have a nice weekend and a Happy Valentines Day!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved learning about Eustress! That is so correct! And I love your beautiful photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm...great post!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hearts Roses and Love on this special day Mimi.
    Guess who?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of eustress before but it does sum up a lot of feelings I have when I feel (good) pressure to complete things that I want to complete. I do find a certain drive from the right amount of pressure. Thanks for educating me on the word. I shall remember this!

    Sally @ LifeLoving
    #LifeLovingLinkie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mimi, Really missing your words on the SS. Hope your day is a peaceful one. Did you guess? Hugs GranX6 & family

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx