Wednesday, October 19, 2011

American Beauty....


On my Tray of Bliss today is my thrifty bedroom makeover.

It all started when I bought this Memory Quilt on eBay over a year ago. It's sort of a folk art/shabby chic style piece and it's utterly beautiful. I've never seen anything like it. It's kind of worn in spots, but that's part of it's overall charm.

It was actually purchased for The Diva, but was so enormous when received, that I honestly didn't know what I was going to do with it.

Finally, in my frustration at not being able to find a suitable bedcover for my giant King Sized bed, I decided to see if this one would suit. Well, hallelujah...it's absolutely perfect!

It's meant rejigging the colour scheme of my bedroom a little as previously we were all neutrals with a touch of burgundy. But as you can see, we've simply upped the Burgundy and added some blue and we're looking good.

The addition of a couple of new pillowcases, and a cushion gave a bit of extra oomph. This cushion is actually a great secret way of storing Winter blankets and linen. This one is simply a quilt, folded into a suitable rectangular shape, encased in a remnant purchased for $1.80 because the colours complimented my quilt and wrapped 'gift' style, securing with safety pins. A complimenting grosgrain ribbon completes the picture. I store all of my bulky blankets and quilts this way. Larger ones are rolled into a cylinder, secured with rubber bands or kitchen string and wrapped in my Winter flannelette sheets. Again a toning ribbon is a nice touch.

It's a great way to get some free cushions and some blanket storage at the same time!

Just remember where you've hidden them when the cooler weather rolls around. I remember cursing vehemently when I couldn't find all of my Winter blankies...until The Musician reminded me that they were adorning our bed as decorator items!

This American Memory quilt was really a bit of a find.

I scored it for just $24, and when I received it, was amazed at the work that had gone into it. It's squares of denim or chambray with pieces of other remnants stitched into creative shapes on each square. I imagine these are scraps of clothing put to further use. There are gingham hearts, floral bikini shapes, random geometric shapes with musical notes on them, vintage ric-rac braid, ribbon, guipure lace, georgette hat and dress shapes, little scotty dogs in velvet and so on. It's the most beautiful, rustic thing ever. I imagine someone labouring over this for literally years, and shudder to imagine what turn of events forced the sale or abandonment of such a lovingly prepared item.

Total bedroom makeover? Well $24 for the quilt, $6 for the pillowcases, $1.80 for the remnant to wrap around my 'cushion', and $1.60 for the grosgrain ribbon. All up...$33.40 for a complete bedroom makeover.

Just goes to show, you don't need to spend a lot for a new look!



More detail from the quilt....I'm fascinated with the history of it...


Wedding dress or debutante gown perhaps?




This piece in cotton...could it have been a special childhood or Sunday Best outfit? Or perhaps a Valentines Day memento?


I had a dress trimmed in just this sort of Ric Rac when I was a child :)


These two cute figures were perhaps from a much loved apron or popover, donned by Nan to bake each day...



....and who was the musician or music lover in the family?




And finally,  a special piece...hand embroidered Satin Stitch forming a sweet little vine.

What's on your Tray of Bliss today?

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I heart your quilt! A real treasure with history!


    Hugs

    Kimmie
    x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx